St John the Baptist, Lower Shuckburgh
This unusual church was rebuilt by George Shuckburgh of nearby Shuckburgh Hall in 1864. He had recently returned from the Crimea, with the result that the design he chose was distinctly oriental.
The interior arches are moorish in shape and the decoration features brightly coloured tiles. Pevsner declares it to be 'sheer ugliness', but Simon Jenkins describes it as 'colourful and jolly'. Another oddity is the hexagonal tower.
There are lovely walks to be taken nearby, on footpaths in the Shuckburgh estate or along the Oxford to Braunston canal.
Please contact Andy Strange on 01327 878717 or call at 'Jowaki' Daventry Road, Lower Shuckburgh (on the left 100 yards from the church in the direction of Daventry)