The Old Church, Alveston
The origins of the Old Church date back to Saxon times, but only the 18th century chancel remains. In the south wall was a doorway, now blocked, in which is reset the elaborately carved tympanum of a 12th-century doorway, and two carved capitals. This was the original parish church until the new St. James was completed in 1839.
A young people's activity and quiz sheet is available on request or from the Youth Hostel at the top of Church Lane.
Visits can be arranged by contacting Brian Johnson on 01789 292800 or Peter Woodhams on 01789 266485.